Oklahoma CDL Requirements

Free Consultation!

Contact Drivers Legal Plan for a free consultation.

Oklahoma CDL Requirements

There are a number of requirements you will need to meet before applying for either your CDL or CLP. While requirements are subject to change based on new laws and regulations, in general, you can expect the following in the state of Oklahoma:

  • Possess a current Oklahoma Class D driver’s license
  • Complete a commercial driver’s license application
  • Provide proof of U.S. Citizenship
  • Provide proof of Oklahoma residency
  • Submit a completed medical examination report and medical examiner’s certification form. If you are planning on driving outside the state of Oklahoma, you will need to bring in a DOT Medical Card. (These forms can be found on the FMCSA website.)
  • Pay the application fee, which is good for 12 months and allows you three attempts to pass each of the knowledge tests
  • Have your fingerprint scanned
  • Pass a vision exam
  • Have your photograph taken

Acceptable forms of U.S. Citizenship include:

  • Certified copy of birth certificate
  • Social Security card or proof of number
  • Valid, unexpired U.S. passport
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) issued by the U.S. Department of State
  • Certificate of Naturalization issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
  • Certificate of Citizenship issued by the Department of Homeland Security
  • Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card, issued by USCIS or INS

Acceptable proof of Oklahoma residency includes:

  • Copy of federal or Oklahoma income tax return filing (not more than 18 months old)
  • Current and valid life insurance, or automobile liability policy or card with address
  • Installment loan contract from a bank or other financial institution.
  • Current deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement or a residential lease
  • Current homeowners’ or renters’ insurance policy or statement
  • Professional license issued by an Oklahoma governmental agency
  • Property tax bill or receipt dated within the last 12 months
  • Sales tax or business license
  • Social Security Administration document with Oklahoma street address dated within 12 months
  • Transportation Security Administration (TSA) letter or TWIC card
  • Utility bill (not more than 60 days old)
  • Valid concealed weapons permit
  • Certified copy of court order
  • Oklahoma Boat Title or Registration
  • Current documents issued by the U.S. Military indicating residential address
  • Oklahoma Motor Vehicle title or registration
  • Pilot’s license
  • Public assistance benefit card and correspondence dated within the last 8 months
  • W-2 wage or 1099 tax form from the current year
  • Oklahoma voter registration card
  • Tribal Vehicles title or registration
  • Oklahoma Agriculture exemption permit card (farm tax permit)
  • Correspondence from an Oklahoma State Agency with current address dated within the last year

When you have satisfied all of these requirements, you will be eligible to take the written knowledge tests. When you have passed these tests, the State of Oklahoma will issue your CLP. After you have held your CLP for a minimum of 14 days, you are eligible to take the skills test to earn your CDL. Drivers must call the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety to schedule a CDL skills test. (Be advised that many locations are scheduled far in advance.) The skills test covers three areas: pre-trip vehicle inspection, basic control skills and a road test. To compete the road test, be sure to bring the type of vehicle you will be driving commercially with you to the exam, as one will not be provided for the test. In the event you do not pass the skills test, you may return to retake one or more portions of it, but will be charged a slightly higher license fee.

When you pass the test, you will be issued the required paperwork to take to any local tag agency and have your CDL license printed.

Commercial Driving Laws in Oklahoma

Traffic violations committed in a commercial vehicle in Oklahoma may result in a temporary or permanent loss of your license, depending on the severity of the violation. It is important to note that even minor traffic violations can result in severe penalties for commercial drivers. Even if the violation is dismissed in court, you may still have points added to your driving record. That’s why it’s important to talk to a legal professional with experience in commercial driving law immediately if you receive a ticket of any kind. Tickets received while driving your personal vehicle can affect your driving record too, and possibly have detrimental effects on your career.

The following offenses are considered serious violations in the state of Oklahoma. First offenses involving a serious violation will result in a fine. Drivers who commit two serious offenses within three years will receive a 60-day license revocation. Three or more violations within a three-year period will result in a 120-day suspension. If you have a revoked CDL for any reason, you are not eligible to qualify for hardship status.

The following are considered serious CDL violations in Oklahoma:

  • Speeding 15 mph or more over the speed limit
  • Driving without a valid CDL
  • Driving without a CDL in your possession
  • Failure to have the proper class CDL or CMV or proper endorsement
  • Reckless driving
  • Erratic lane changes
  • Following too closely
  • Using a cell phone while driving
  • Committing any CMV violation involving a fatality

Although not classified as serious violations, there are many common violations for which an Oklahoma officer may issue you a ticket. These violations may also affect your driving record, so it’s important to speak with a legal professional experienced in trucker laws before you simply pay a ticket.

These common violations include:

  • Failure to stop at a traffic signal
  • Exceeding the legal truck weight
  • Driving a CMV that is over width or length
  • Driving without insurance verification
  • Failure to display a hazardous materials placard on all sides of the CMV
  • Improper loading or securing of cargo
  • Violating record-keeping requirements
  • Exceeding federal hours of service limits

In some cases, a police officer may issue a driver an out-of-service order (OSO). This is a temporary order that prohibits you from operating your commercial vehicle. OSO’s are issued when the officer deems the vehicle or the driver unsafe. Drivers who violate an OSO and continue to operate their vehicles will have their license revoked. The duration of the revocation depends on the number of offenses a driver has had.

First OSO offense: 180-day revocation, or one year if driving a hazmat vehicle or vehicle licensed to carry 16 or more passengers.

Second OSO offense: if a second OSO offense is committed within 10 years of the first one, the driver will receive a two-year revocation, or three years if driving a hazmat vehicle or vehicle licensed to carry 16 or more passengers.

Third OSO offense: 3-year revocation

In Oklahoma, certain violations are considered major offenses and any first violation will result in license suspension of one year or more. A second offense will result in a suspension of three years or more.

Major offenses in Oklahoma include:

  • Refusing to take a chemical test
  • Driving a CMV under the influence
  • Leaving the scene of an accident
  • Using a CMV in the commission of a felony
  • Using a CDL to defraud
  • Any CMV-related accident that results in a fatality
  • Using a CMV in the commission of a felony

In addition to the above offenses, there are specific rules for commercial vehicles when crossing railroad tracks. Any commercial vehicle driver who does not leave enough clearance or who does not abide by railroad signals will have their license revoked. Revocations will be 60 days for a first offense, 120 days for a second offense, and one year for a third violation in a three-year period.