Nevada CDL Information

Free Consultation!

Contact Drivers Legal Plan for a free consultation.

Nevada CDL Information


Nevada CDL requirements

If you get a ticket in Nevada.


The state of Nevada complies with federal regulations for commercial vehicles, requiring that drivers who want to obtain their commercial driver’s license (CDL) be at least 18 years of age. Additionally, you will be required to provide proper original identity documentation and residency documents.

There are three classes of commercial driver’s licenses in the state of Nevada, based on the type of vehicle you plan to drive:

Class A: Class A is required when you have a combination vehicle with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of more than 26,000 pounds and if the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the trailer is more than 10,000 pounds.

Class B: Class B is required when a single vehicle weighs 26,001 or more pounds, or you're towing a vehicle with a GVWR of fewer than 10,000 pounds.

Class C: Class C is required for vehicles that don't meet the weight requirements of Class A or Class B but are designed to carry at least 16 people or are placarded for hazardous materials.

In addition to your CDL, you may need certain endorsements depending on the type of vehicle you'll be driving and the cargo you'll haul. These include

  • T for double or triple trailers
  • P for passenger vehicles
  • N for tank vehicles
  • H for hazardous materials
  • X for hazardous materials and tankers.
  • S for school buses

You will be able to test for these endorsements when you take the written knowledge tests for your commercial learner's permit.