Mississippi CDL Information

Free Consultation!

Contact Drivers Legal Plan for a free consultation.

Mississippi CDL Information


Mississippi CDL requirements

If you get a ticket in Mississippi.


In compliance with new regulations established by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) in 2022, all drivers who are applying for their first CDL, upgrading their current CDL class, or applying for endorsements must complete federally approved Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT). To meet regulations, the ELDT must be provided by an FMCSA-approved organization.

Drivers who received their CDL prior to February 7, 2022, are exempt from this requirement. However, those who wish to upgrade their current CDL class or add endorsements are required to undergo training, regardless of when their license was issued.

The state of Mississippi complies with federal regulations for commercial vehicles, requiring that drivers who want to obtain their commercial driver’s license (CDL) be at least 18 years of age. Additionally, you will be required to provide proper original identity documentation and residency documents and pass a written test and a skills test. The written test must be completed and passed to qualify for a commercial leaner’s permit (CLP), which is required before you can be eligible to take the skills test needed for your CDL.

In the state of Mississippi, a CDL is required for any vehicle with a weight of more than 26,000 pounds, or vehicles that carry hazardous materials or transport more than 16 passengers (including the driver). A CDL is not required for registered farm vehicles, recreational vehicles, emergency vehicles, or military vehicles.

The state of Mississippi classifies commercial vehicles as follows:

Class A: any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, to include a towed vehicle that weighs more than 10,000 pounds. These vehicles include tractor-trailers, truck and trailer combinations, tractor-trailer buses, tankers, livestock carriers, and flatbeds.

Class B: single vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, and/or any vehicle that is towing another vehicle weighing up to 10,000 pounds. Vehicles in this category include straight trucks, large buses, segmented buses, box trucks, and dump trucks with small trailers.

Class C: single or combination vehicles that do not meet the criteria for either a Class A or B license and are used to transport 16 or more passengers or haul hazardous materials as defined by federal guidelines. These vehicles include small HAZMAT vehicles, passenger vans, and small trucks towing a trailer.

There are certain types of commercial vehicles that require special endorsements. Drivers will be required to take additional tests specific to these types of endorsements before they are qualified to drive them. These include:

  • T endorsements: for drivers of double/trip trailers. Requires a knowledge test only.
  • P endorsements: for drivers of vehicles transporting passengers. Requires both a knowledge and skills test.
  • N endorsements: for drivers of tank vehicles. Requires a knowledge test only.
  • H and X endorsements: for drivers of vehicles transporting hazardous waste, and combination of tank vehicle and hazardous waste vehicle. Requires a knowledge test only.